Friday, May 1, 2015

Final Reflection: New Historical lens

After finishing reading Beloved and reading from a New Historical Lens I gained a lot more knowledge that I didn't have before. Reading the book through my lens was difficult because while I was reading I was also thinking about what I have to focus on and what specific things I need to learn from. But reading the book through my lens was helpful because I feel like I understood the book more in a deeper level than would have originally. Writing blogs was also helpful. I noticed Toni Morrison's perspective from writing the book and the history she used to convey her feelings and thoughts on slavery. I learned what slaves actually went through and how they felt. I learned how crucial their punishments were and how they were treated, which was not human.
Reading Beloved gave me a whole new perspective on slavery. Knowing that African American slaves were suffering and couldn't find a way out made me realize that a lot of things have changed since that time. Time has changed from having whites and blacks being separated and treated differently to now to having whites and blacks being treated the same and as actual human beings. I also learned that pasts and mistakes could be a good thing if you face them and move on and learn from the mistakes. Toni Morrison portrayed this in Beloved by sharing Sethe's and all the other main characters pasts and how they are living on with their lives with out actually moving on. With the main characters being haunted by their past it makes hard for them to move on. After I finished reading Beloved I had a knew perspective on how I see the history of slaves. Before I had an idea of how the slavery was, but now I feel like I have a stronger understanding of how and what African Americans went through in past years.


No comments:

Post a Comment